While out and about this past weekend, I ran into a kid who happened to be from Newport Beach and who attended the high school next to the one filmed on MTV’s Newport Harbor. After talking for a while, I got some inside facts about the cast of Newport Harbor.
1. Chrissy and Clay never actually dated !! They hooked up once or twice but the show completely exaggerated it and made it seem like they were seriously dating when they weren’t. But in real life, Chrissy was actually a “good girl”.
2. Chrissy isn’t at UC Santa Barbara anymore – she was actually only there for a portion of the year – after attending community college. And now she goes to USC.
3. Clay never went on to college and is now working as a club promoter in LA.
4. Grant is a huge stoner.
5. The cast was picked by the MTV crew going around the high school and asking students who they thought were the most popular kids.
6. The whole thing was VERY scripted. The producers would tell the cast what they wanted them to do. And they would have to reenact things that happened off the camera. For example, if someone broke up off camera, they would have to do it again on camera. How horrible is that. They also got paid – but not much.
These are the basic highlights. Overall, I got the vibe that these kids weren’t anything special – and not the brightest in the box either. This is all based on what this person told me – but he seemed pretty honest and reliable.
He also told me that he was once at a bar in Laguna that was really chill and Jen Bunny (from Laguna Beach) walks in wearing a cocktail dress and heels (while everyone else is in surf shorts and tank tops). And everyone thought she was a complete joke, especially when guys were hitting on her friend and not her – she got upset and stormed out.
I’m obviously a sucker for all these shows – I watched Laguna Beach religiously (except for the last season when it all went down hill), as well as Newport Harbor and now The Hills and The City. So I love these shows even if they are scripted.